Sunday, August 15, 2010

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

I usually read a book before seeing its movie, but I walked into this one blind.  And I loved it.  It makes fun of so much - comic books and video games are the most obvious targets, but indie rock bands, actors, vegans, boys, girls, Canada, the satire knows no bounds.  Frequent comic-book stylings might turn some people off, but they melded perfectly into the experience.  The actors won't win any Oscars, but none of them distracted from the story (except possibly Michael Cera's hair, which was still part of the story), and Ellen Wong handled The Three Faces of Knives Chau superbly.  The story was so good that I plan to buy the graphic novel to see which of the hinted-at subplots were fleshed out originally.

I wouldn't call this movie a must-see, but it entertains consistently for most of its screen time.  Laura thought it got a little boring after Evil Ex #3, but I enjoyed the different styles of stories and fights behind the other Exes.  I give it 7 out of 10.

(Whew - midnight deadline to get something up has been reached!)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. Also, you can change the time to whatever time you want, you know.

    ReplyDelete