Monday, September 6, 2010

Sacrifice

This article challenges the common wisdom that our schools need smaller classes.  Everyone wants them, but there's not much data proving their benefits, and maximum class sizes are killing state budgets (especially California) and having indirect effects like driving more great teachers out of the inner city.  If the article omitted or misstated anything, please leave a comment - I'd love to know more.

It makes sense to me that stretch goals are going to be even more difficult in the current economy, and more so the longer it lasts.  Non-profits are taking a hit, and all levels of government are running out of money.  Education will take a hit unless we pay for it, and, well, we suck at paying for things.  I'm getting depressed at not seeing a way out, so I'll stop here.


Programming note: I'm trying something a little different this week.  I wrote a short story a while back, and I'll throw it out here in 3-4 parts.  The prompt was "dragon, knight, and princess," so you can probably guess the genre.  Feel free to ignore it if it's less bloggy than you want, but I wanted to include it.

No comments:

Post a Comment