Saturday, September 4, 2010

Daemon/Freedom(TM)

A friend at work turned me on to Daemon by Daniel Suarez.  In the book an Internet virus impacts the real world by controlling electronics and bribing/forcing/tempting people to act on its behalf.  It was fun with some interesting ideas, and will make a great movie some day, despite fairly flat characters.

The second book, Freedom(TM), pulls an Empire Strikes Back to supercede the original as the virus attracts more participants to its videogame-like real world culture.  The virus incents players in ways I didn't anticipate, and left me wondering what could be incorporated into the real world (and if I would want to).  I love books with ideas that demand further discussion and experimentation, and Daniel Suarez delivers.


P.S. I know my reviews are short - I want to convey lingering big-picture impressions, while not spoiling surprises.  Feedback is welcome, if you would find something different more helpful.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I've had Daemon on my to read list for a while now. Maybe it's time I get to it.

    ReplyDelete