Sunday, October 31, 2010

My Aunt's Funeral

Yesterday my Aunt Sue's funeral included a long procession to the cemetery along Highway 29.  Along the way about half of the cars going the other way pulled over to the shoulder with their lights on.  We didn't need the room - it's just a tradition of respect for a funeral procession.  I don't know if it's a local tradition or a Texas thing, but I can't describe how much it touched me.  Reminded me of the scenes in Lion King where the animals kneel for Mufasa - not that this was homage to Aunt Sue, just respect for her and her mourners.  I'm not usually a fan of traditions, but I definitely saw the value here.

Sorry if this is a little incoherent.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't happen that often anymore - partly due to daytime running lights, partly due to people being in too damn a hurry. Nice to see that Williamson county has something redeeming....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is quite touching, Charles. I regret I couldn't be there.

    ReplyDelete